Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Britney On The Monotony Of Everyday Life

It kills me that in discussing her life these days, Britney Spears recently said,
"There’s no excitement, there’s no passion. I have really good days, and then I have bad days. Even when you go to jail you know there’s the time when you’re gonna get out. But in this situation, it’s never ending. It’s just like Groundhog Day every day. […] I think it’s too in control. If I wasn’t under the restraints I’m under, I’d feel so liberated. When I tell them the way I feel, it’s like they hear but they’re really not listening."
If you didn't know she was talking about the very particular circumstances of being under her father's "permanent control," you could read this as a totally articulate and elegant complaint about the monotony of everyday life.

"It's just like Groundhog Day every day." It's true! For most people, everyday life really is like Groundhog Day. You wake up, you do the same things you did yesterday, eventually the day ends, and you go to bed.

"Even when you go to jail there's the time when you're gonna get out." There's no denying it. Unlike temporary sucky situations, the monotony of everyday life has no end.

"When I tell them the way I feel, it's like they hear but they're not really listening." Uh-huh. I don't believe in God, myself, but if I were to say something about the forces that control the universe, that about sums it up. It's like they hear, but they're not really listening.

"I have really good days, and then I have really bad days." That really says it all.

Britney Spears, accidental philosopher of everyday life. Who knew?

1 comment:

Captain Colossal said...

Such a goddamn good quote. I wish I was in a situation where I needed a good quote.